Skip to main content

Results are In

Ashley's lab results are in. Although, they are changed from the last lab report; they aren't terribly surprising given that Ashley's liver disease is progressing.

As I suspected due to Ashley's many bruises, Ashley's platelet count is down from 116,000 in February to 99,000 but her white blood cell count is normal. However, for the first time since 2001, Ashley's ALT and AST are in the triple digits, in February they were both at 83. An elevated AST and ALT means that Ashley's liver is inflamed.

Remarkably, Ashley's vitamin levels are okay except her Vitamin E. People with liver disease cannot absorb vitamins, so having the vitamin levels checked is necessary to insure that the body is receiving the necessary nutrients to keep the body healthy. The important thing is that Ashley's bilirubin level is normal and her blood clotting time is normal as well. Having a normal blood clotting time means that if Ashley bleeds due to low platelets her body will still clot the blood normally. Having a normal bili means that we know Ashley's liver is producing bile and is able to filter it through the biliary tree normally.

I don't have all of Ashley's blood work results just the numbers that are not normal. The nurse will be mailing me a copy of the lab results so I can get a better idea of how Ashley's labs are fluctuating. (I keep Ashley's lab history on an Excel spreadsheet). Keeping a copy of Ashley's labs really helps me and her doctors see a trend in her labs.

I am not surprised by Ashley's platelet count but learning that her AST and ALT are doubled has me a little concerned. Right now, the plan is to repeat labs in a month. We will possibly start giving Ashley extra Vitamin E and she will soon require extra vitamin K to help with her decreasing Platelet count.

Overall, her labs are not terrible considering she has liver disease. We just have to wait and see what the next set of labs results show. But for now, I am glad that God is continuing to watch over Ashley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b...

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe som...

It's Ashley HERE!

Hey guys! It's my first post! EVER! I am soo happy cause I wanted all of you guys to know that I am addicted (slightly HAHA) to the Shaytards/Shaycarl/Shayloss/Katilette/etc. So you guys need to go subscribe to their channels! They're amazing, It's about everyday family life and they post a video everyday! It relieves the stress, and I love it! Its so funny. So you should go watch one! Anyways... I just wanted to say hey! I love you guys sooooo much for donating stuff, before my mom closed the original website. :) And thanks you guys who are still here, watching over me and when I was a baby and sending me packages! I enjoyed them so much! THANKS! I loved them, like they were great. Thanks you guys for sending me prayers and teddy bears ("Shout out to Matthew") (: So guys I am going to post something everyday. Cause' my mom is getting Lazy, and she could pass this on to me if she wanted *Wink Wink*. But you'd have to do the designing, WE NEED ...