Skip to main content

What's worse than the First Day of School?

Brad and Ashley start back to school on Monday, August 18. You know what is worse than the first day of school? Well for me it's having Ashley start school without her lab results. I called the hospital today to see if I could get her lab results and of course I had to leave a message. Now I am just waiting on the nurse to call me back with the results. My guess is with all of Ashley's bruises her platelet count is below 100,000 again (REMINDER: NORMAL IS BETWEEN 150,000 TO 450,000). I guess I will have to wait until next week to get Ash's results. For now, I can just keep saying to myself, "no news is good news."

Today we met Ashley's new teacher and Brad's too. I got more emotional thinking about Ashley being in the 5th grade than I did when she started kindergarten. It's so hard for me to imagine that my baby girl is growing up. I can't wrap my head and my heart around the fact that Ashley will be starting middle school next year. I am scared to death!

Ashley's new teacher, Mrs. Miller, seems like she might be good for Ashley. Her classroom is clean and organized. She seems friendly and is a touchy feely person. She held Ashley's hand as she was talking to the other parents in the class this morning. Ashley was very upset when she learned that none of her friends are in her class and she really doesn't know any of the people that are in her class. She cried most of the day yesterday and into the night. However, after meeting Mrs. Miller this morning, I think she is feeling a little better about her new class.

Brad has a great schedule this year for 7th grade. The school Brad is going to is Magnet school. He is taking all Pre-IB Gifted Honors classes and his electives for the year are Spanish, Pre-Aeronautical II, Biotechnology, Guitar, and Computer Applications. As I was walking with Brad from class to class today meeting his teachers, I realized just how much he is respected in school; even upper classmen were saying hi to Brad. Teachers would say hi to Brad in the hall, one teacher even interrupted his telephone conversation to say "Hi B-Rad." It's amazing how grown up he is but yet he still my little boy.

Although, I am sad that summer is over and my kids are starting another year of school. I am excited to watch them grow and learn over the next year. Life is so exciting, how can you not want to wake up each morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b

Answers lead to more Questions

In great Ashley fashion, she did very well with her trip to the hospital and recovered well from the procedure. Right now, Ashley is off with her Grammie getting spoiled by shopping. With no one in the house but me and the pets, I am off to my own devices which usually means I have to much time to think, to research, to worry, to vent, to hope and to pray. Today Ashley had a broncioscope to find out why she has been coughing for six months. After getting up at 4:30 am and at the hospital at 6 am, the scope began at approximately 7:30 am. The procedure itself took less than 30 minutes. The outcome of the procedure left me with more questions than answers. We do know why Ashley is coughing, Ashley has a vocal cord dysfunction, enlarged adnenoids and tonsils. Finding out why Ashley is coughing is good news, however, we also learned that Ashley may have other issues involving her lungs. There was 60mL of fluid in her lungs. Some samples of her lungs were sent for a cell count, bacterial cu

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe someday Ashley will compete on a stage again and not