Skip to main content

God at Work

Growing up I always had faith in God and never really questioned His existence. Often people ask me when I became a Christian, my response is always "I have been a Christian since the day I was born." Many people believe that you need to ask God into your heart but I believe that God is always in your heart you just have to feel Him. Unless you ask God to leave, He is always with you. There has not been a day in my life where I have questioned God's existence in my life. He has always been a huge part of my life.

I am not a religious person but I am strong in my faith and in my Christian beliefs. When people ask me what religion I am, I say I am Christian but I am a member of a Lutheran Church; in reality I belong to the Lord Jesus Christ. To me it doesn't matter if your Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc., what matters is if your a Christian. Your religion is secondary to your firm belief in God, our savior Jesus Christ.

Having a child with a life threatening illness just reaffirms my faith in God; my strength as a Christian. Sure many people in my situation would question God, maybe even hate God for giving the disease/illness to their loved one. But God did not give Ashley biliary atresia any more than I gave Ashley biliary atresia. God does not want Ashley to die but God also does not want Ashley to suffer either. There have been so many times since Ashley's birth that I have seen God work in our lives. Even during the times that I thought God wanted Ashley back home with him, I still rejoiced in His love for me; for her.

Having a daughter that has a life threatening liver disease where a cause has yet to be found and a cure is far beyond reach is why God is so important in my life. There have been many times I have asked how people without that faith, people that don't feel God in their hearts; how those people survive in times like this. I can't even imagine how I could have survived without God during Ashley's diagnosis, surgeries and other life-in-the-balance moments. Prayer brings me peace, knowing God is there for me even when I am weak provides me with hope.

There are so many examples of how God has worked in my life, especially in Ashley's life from her birth, her baptism, her Dad's baptism and commitment to Christ, her first breath of life to her near death experiences. Examples of how faith can overcome obstacles. Tomorrow I will share with you Examples of Faith in my Life.

Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11)

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts. (Colossians 3:15a)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b

Answers lead to more Questions

In great Ashley fashion, she did very well with her trip to the hospital and recovered well from the procedure. Right now, Ashley is off with her Grammie getting spoiled by shopping. With no one in the house but me and the pets, I am off to my own devices which usually means I have to much time to think, to research, to worry, to vent, to hope and to pray. Today Ashley had a broncioscope to find out why she has been coughing for six months. After getting up at 4:30 am and at the hospital at 6 am, the scope began at approximately 7:30 am. The procedure itself took less than 30 minutes. The outcome of the procedure left me with more questions than answers. We do know why Ashley is coughing, Ashley has a vocal cord dysfunction, enlarged adnenoids and tonsils. Finding out why Ashley is coughing is good news, however, we also learned that Ashley may have other issues involving her lungs. There was 60mL of fluid in her lungs. Some samples of her lungs were sent for a cell count, bacterial cu

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe someday Ashley will compete on a stage again and not