Skip to main content

Why is Ashley doing so well when so many others are not?

This is a question that I have been asked several times over the last few years and asked more often recently. There have been many people from the Biliary Atresia Network, which I founded in 2001, that have asked me what I am doing that has allowed Ashley to live 10 1/2 years with her original liver. What have I done that helped prevent Ashley from being inpatient in the hospital since December 1998. I really wish I had an answer as to why Ashley has done so much better than other children with biliary atresia. I wish I had a magic formula to treat this liver disease, believe me if I did I would most certainly share. All I can is tell you is what I have found to be effective in treating Ashley. However, please remember I am just a mom; I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

First, when Ashley was diagnosed I researched everything and was on the computer 24/7. I would research my research. It drove my husband crazy but it made me feel like I was doing something to help Ashley. I questioned the doctors, demanded answers and refused to leave the doctor's office or hang up the phone until I got answers.

Second, when Ashley was sick with normal sick kids stuff, I would research the medication prescribed to her before I filled the prescription. There have been at least two times, that I remember, when Ashley was prescribed medication that would adversely affect her liver. We never filled those prescriptions, the doctor was called and another prescription was ordered.

Regarding over-the-counter meds, after I found the support group Children's Liver Association for Support Services (CLASS), I searched their website for information; anything that would help me. The Resource Center on CLASS has a wealth of information on all sorts of pediatric liver disease and transplantation. One thing I don't leave home without when traveling with Ashley is the list for Acceptable Over-the-Counter drugs for Pediatric Liver Disease patients. Ashley does not get any over-the-counter medication unless absolutely necessary. I could probably count on both hands how many times she has had Motrin or Tylenol. Our fever reducer of choice is Motrin, we have probably given Ashley Tylenol maybe once in her 10 1/2 years of life.

Third, after researching all the meds that Ashley is on or was on because of her disease, such as ADEK vitamins (no longer takes this medication), Phenobarbitol (no longer takes), Actigall, Prevacid, Miralax, etc, I learned not only the reason Ashley is taking these meds but how and when she should take them. Most important I learned that Actigall should be taken with food at the same time every day. Since I started giving Ashley her Actigall with food and consistently at the same time every day, I noticed that her liver numbers started trending downward. After about three months of administering Actigall in this way, Ashley's liver functions have remained perfectly normal and only elevating when she is sick; this has been the case since early 2002 (I have proof of this in a spread sheet that I created when Ashley was first born). I am not sure if changing the Actigall routine helped Ashley but it certainly hasn't hurt her and her liver functions are normal.

Fourth, Ashley was very sick when she was first born with a bilirubin of 15.5. I was breastfeeding her and then was told after the Kasai that I would need to feed her a special formula. However, Ashley did not tolerate the special formula and then without permission from the doctors I gave her regular Similac with Iron. At first, Ashley's doctors were not happy with me, but when they noticed she was gaining weight and thriving they allowed her to stay on the formula. Just so you know, it would not have mattered if the doctors told me to put Ashley back on the Special formula, I would not have listened. For six weeks while Ashley was on that stuff, she didn't gain weight, she was throwing up not only her food but her meds. Once I fed her the regular formula all of that changed. How is a sick baby supposed to get better if you put her meds in a few ounces of formula and she either doesn't drink it because of the taste or she drinks it only to throw it up seconds later. I don't care if you are a doctor or not that is not healthy for a sick child.

Lastly, I demand tests to be done on Ashley even if her doctors feel that the tests aren't warranted or her labs don't indicate the need for those tests. For example, Ashley was three years out from her Kasai, she had not had an ultrasound since a few months after her Kasai surgery (I think she was 5 months old). At one of Ashley's liver clinic appointments I asked that Ashley have an ultrasound. Ashley's doc felt it wasn't necessary and didn't agree. I argued my case, told him I had insurance, to humor me and order the test. Of course, I won that argument and Ashley had an ultrasound. That ultrasound that doctor didn't feel was necessary showed a nice 2 cm mass sitting on Ashley's liver. Now Ashley has two more 1 cm cysts on her liver too. If you feel in your gut that more tests need to be done, demand them to be done and don't take no for an answer.

All of Ashley's doctors firmly believe that the reason Ashley has done so well for so long is my aggressiveness in her care and my persistence with the medical community. Doctors don't know everything remember they are practicing medicine and for the most part they are learning as the go too. Yes, Ashley has problems with fluctuating low platelets, a low white blood cell count, unknown cysts on her liver, bleeding issues, abnormal vitamin levels, and a weakened immune system but she is remarkably like any other 10 year old. She growing and thriving normally...so I must be doing something right. Of course, prayer has never hurt and my faith in God has certainly helped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b

Answers lead to more Questions

In great Ashley fashion, she did very well with her trip to the hospital and recovered well from the procedure. Right now, Ashley is off with her Grammie getting spoiled by shopping. With no one in the house but me and the pets, I am off to my own devices which usually means I have to much time to think, to research, to worry, to vent, to hope and to pray. Today Ashley had a broncioscope to find out why she has been coughing for six months. After getting up at 4:30 am and at the hospital at 6 am, the scope began at approximately 7:30 am. The procedure itself took less than 30 minutes. The outcome of the procedure left me with more questions than answers. We do know why Ashley is coughing, Ashley has a vocal cord dysfunction, enlarged adnenoids and tonsils. Finding out why Ashley is coughing is good news, however, we also learned that Ashley may have other issues involving her lungs. There was 60mL of fluid in her lungs. Some samples of her lungs were sent for a cell count, bacterial cu

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe someday Ashley will compete on a stage again and not