Skip to main content

The Other Piece of My Heart

Everyone who reads this blog knows almost everything there is to know about Ashley. Everyone knows that Ashley is such a big piece of my heart but I want to introduce you to the other piece of my heart; Ashley's big brother, Brad.

Brad was born in 1996 after several failed pregnancies.  He is just as much of a miracle to me as his sister.  When my husband was finally ready to have children I changed just about everything in my life.  I began to work out more, eat better, cut caffeine, was very blunt in asking people not to smoke around me.  At the time I worked at job that kept me on my feet virtually eight hours a day.  I never had problems getting pregnant, it was staying pregnant that proved to be a challenge.  Approximately two months before I found out was pregnant with Brad, I had a miscarriage.  It was devastating, I felt God was punishing me for some past wrongdoings but I was determined to become a mother. Being a mother was the one thing I know I was put on this earth to do.  I firmly believe it is the only path God planned for me.

Today Brad is a very well adjusted, smart, athletic, and cute (just ask all the girls), 15 year old boy.  He just took the tests to get his Lerner's Permit. As his mom, I am excited he will be driving soon yet at the same time I am scared to death.  Brad is not the typical teenage boy except for the fact that he sleeps til noon during the summer and likes girls or should I say girls like him.  What makes Brad different is he has such an intelligence and maturity that is well beyond his years.  I enjoy so much talking to Brad about politics, religion, history...just about anything.  But I am also very embarrassed and humbled to admit that Brad is so much smarter than me.

Brad and I are close, we have the same close relationship that I have with Ashley.  Brad talks to me about anything; girls, drugs, sex, etc.  (Our conversations aren't always about politics and/or religion).  Brad is self-disciplined but I still have to guide him.  He has a great circle of great friends from all walks of life, both girls and boys. I trust his friends and I love being around them almost as much as he does. I secretly wish all of Brad's friends were my friends on Facebook but that is taboo.  I think my Facebook page would be so much more exciting with Brad's friends a part of it.

Baseball is Brad's sport of choice to play, but he prefers to watch football.  Brad has been playing baseball since he was 5 years old and was on his high school's JV baseball team as a freshman last year.  He is a pitcher and a third baseman but can pretty much play any position assigned.  Some of the players on the JV team last year have said that Brad "is the most underrated player on the team."  He seems to have gained the respect of his fellow teammates as well as the coaches.  So you see I am not just a dance mom, I am a baseball mom too.

Academically, Brad is gifted and I am not saying that because I am his mom, he is truly gifted with a high IQ.  He is not one of those gifted students that consistently makes straight A's.  Since going to high school, the straight A's seem to elude Brad.  He is part of the International Baccalaureate program at his high school and graduated middle school with 4 high school credits under his belt.  He has many interests and is still not 100% sure what he wants to major in when he goes to college.  Some of his interest include psychology, medicine, and engineering. He has dreams to attend the Naval Academy, M.I.T. or Stanford or as he says, "any school that is not in Florida."

When Ashley was born with all of her health issues, I was afraid Brad would be extremely jealous of her or overprotective of her.  However, Brad is neither; he treats her like any sibling would treat their brother or sister.  Brad and Ashley have always gotten along and even though they will both be teenagers soon, they still like to spend time together. I know that when Ashley starts high school in one year, Brad (and his friends) will be there to help her.  Knowing Brad will be there gives me some peace.

Brad is such a big piece of my heart, and just like Ashley, he is the reason mine continues to beat.  Being a mother to both of these miracles is such a gift.  A gift I will cherish daily and will enjoy continuing to unwrap as  they learn to live there lives.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b

Answers lead to more Questions

In great Ashley fashion, she did very well with her trip to the hospital and recovered well from the procedure. Right now, Ashley is off with her Grammie getting spoiled by shopping. With no one in the house but me and the pets, I am off to my own devices which usually means I have to much time to think, to research, to worry, to vent, to hope and to pray. Today Ashley had a broncioscope to find out why she has been coughing for six months. After getting up at 4:30 am and at the hospital at 6 am, the scope began at approximately 7:30 am. The procedure itself took less than 30 minutes. The outcome of the procedure left me with more questions than answers. We do know why Ashley is coughing, Ashley has a vocal cord dysfunction, enlarged adnenoids and tonsils. Finding out why Ashley is coughing is good news, however, we also learned that Ashley may have other issues involving her lungs. There was 60mL of fluid in her lungs. Some samples of her lungs were sent for a cell count, bacterial cu

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe someday Ashley will compete on a stage again and not