Skip to main content

Organ Donation - Not Just Two Words


A few months ago I stumbled upon a great website that talks about organ donation and having compassion for those who not only received the gift of life, but also gave the gift of life. Ted of "My Angel Foundation", asked me to post on his new blog called How Has. "How Has" asks people to submit a personal story on how organ donation impacted their life. Below is what I submitted and Ted published on the How Has blog.

Organ donation, just two words to most people but to me those two words mean that there is hope! As a child my family talked about organ donation, giving of oneself so that others could live. We never thought that one of us would need a new organ or become an organ donor. Talking about organ donation was a subject discussed at the dinner table as easily as saying our prayers before every meal. It was no surprise to anyone that at age 16, when I received my driver’s license, that organ donor would be placed on my new license. Not only did I have organ donor on my driver’s license but I also checked the box to donate $1 to our local organ procurement organization. Never in a million years would I have guessed that my life would change because someone I loved needed to live with the help of organ donation.

When one dreams of having children, you dream of that perfect little baby with ten fingers, ten toes, a beating heart and that beautiful baby skin. No one ever dreams of having a child with a serious medical condition. No one ever dreams of having a yellow baby. No one ever dreams of a life spent in and out of hospitals just to keep your baby alive. No one ever dreams of watching their baby grow into a walking, talking toddler wondering if they will make it to kindergarten. No one ever dreams of their school age child being teased because she has a scar across her belly or because she has hairy arms due to the medications she takes. No one ever dreams of having a child only to fear that every day may be their child’s last. No one ever dreams that their baby would need a liver transplant.

Organ donation to me means that I can dream of my daughter’s future without fear or at least with hope. Organ donation means that my son will always have his sister to love and will not fear attending her funeral. Organ donation means that I can watch my daughter enjoy life without hospitals in it. Organ donation means that my husband and I will be forever grateful to someone we don’t know but will live on in our daughter. Organ donation means that my daughter can live a normal life and dream of having babies of her own.

How has organ donation changed my life? Organ donation has changed the way I dream, how I hope and how I pray. The words organ donation are not just two little words, organ donation are words to live by, organ donation are words of LIFE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b

Answers lead to more Questions

In great Ashley fashion, she did very well with her trip to the hospital and recovered well from the procedure. Right now, Ashley is off with her Grammie getting spoiled by shopping. With no one in the house but me and the pets, I am off to my own devices which usually means I have to much time to think, to research, to worry, to vent, to hope and to pray. Today Ashley had a broncioscope to find out why she has been coughing for six months. After getting up at 4:30 am and at the hospital at 6 am, the scope began at approximately 7:30 am. The procedure itself took less than 30 minutes. The outcome of the procedure left me with more questions than answers. We do know why Ashley is coughing, Ashley has a vocal cord dysfunction, enlarged adnenoids and tonsils. Finding out why Ashley is coughing is good news, however, we also learned that Ashley may have other issues involving her lungs. There was 60mL of fluid in her lungs. Some samples of her lungs were sent for a cell count, bacterial cu

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe someday Ashley will compete on a stage again and not