Skip to main content

Gator Land Here we Come!

Here we are in Gainesville at the wonderful Holiday Inn Express. What a crazy day it has been. Starting with my silly cat screaming meows at me so I get up to put fresh food and water in his bowls. However, the little fur ball wasn't happy with just fresh food and water, he continued to meow so I got up and took a shower so much for an extra 30 minutes of sleep. You gotta love pets!

After I woke myself up in a nice warm shower (it was cold in Central Florida this morning), I jumped on the kids beds to wake them up. Ashley, of course, didn't want to get up so Sarge, the dog, jumped on her bed to wake her up. Finally, the kids are up and getting dressed and the cat is still meowing and now following me around the house. Okay cat, I give up...what do you want!

Right before we left the house, I decided I should change the cats litter box since I was going to be gone for two days. Low and behold, fresh cat poop on my living room floor. Note to self, if cat continues to meow after giving him fresh food and water, change his litter box before her craps on the floor.

Fresh food, check; fresh water, check; fresh litter, check - one happy cat. Now load up the van and let's get the day started.

After dropping Brad off at the bus stop, Ashley and I hit the road to Gainesville, Florida. Of course, nothing is easy and since we like to be on our toes, we decided that we needed some excitement on the road. If you have been in Florida, especially central Florida, then you know we have lots of toll roads. However, residents of central Florida can pre-pay their tolls and speed through the toll booths.

The "speed pass" as I call them, makes driving through toll roads during peak traffic hours a breeze. However, when your stupid "speed pass" decides to malfunction, it makes you want to throw it out the window instead of attaching it to the window. Thankfully, we were 10 minutes from the "speed pass" service center. Finally, we get the dang thing fixed and back on the road. At least we thought it was fixed, I still received malfunction beeps but continued to speed through the tolls. I guess the toll police will be looking for me now.

We arrived in Gainesville 20 minutes before Ashley's scheduled appointment time. The appointment with Dr. Gonzales went well but there were changes made to Ashley's schedule and more procedures were added. The good news is Ashley's platelet count is up at 118,000 still low be better than the 80,000 it has been. Her AST and ALT are elevated, those numbers usually indicate liver inflammation. Her White Blood Cell count is still low but her other liver enzymes were normal. Ashley's liver seems to be happy according to her labs.

Dr. Gonzales is concerned with Ashley's frequent diarrhea and complaints of belly pain. Therefore, along with the Upper Endoscopy, Ashley will have a biopsy done of her bowel. We were also given a stool kit so now we have to collect samples of Ashley's stool. Oh goody, a science experiment. In other words, I will be collecting Ashley's poop in various containers, etc. and then take back to the lab for further testing. Dr. Gonzales is thinking Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Crohn's, Celiacs or maybe something related to liver disease; we don't know until more tests are performed and results are in. And until results are in, I am not going to worry.

Ash also had an ultrasound done today. I love looking at the ultrasound as it's being performed. The technicians are always surprised when I give Ashley a detailed account of what we are looking at during the ultrasound. If they only knew how many ultrasounds Ashley has had over the last 9 1/2 years, they wouldn't be so shocked.

The ultrasound was probably one of the clearest ultrasounds Ashley has had in a long time. I am not sure if it's because the ultrasound was performed one someone with a very empty tummy (Ashley didn't have breakfast or lunch) or if it's because they cleaned the screen. I was able to see Ashley's liver cysts/nodules better than any other time. Maybe they have gotten bigger and that's why I see them better now. The fluid filled cyst looks huge and the two solid cysts do look bigger to me. On previous ultrasounds I could never make out the smaller cysts but this time I picked them out before the tech started measuring them.

Ashley spleen is still big but not enormous. Her kidneys, and pancreas, etc. look normal. The tech looked a her common bile duct and checked blood flow. It seemed to me that the blood flow was normal but what do I know I am just a mom that has a child with liver disease. Anyway, the ultrasound was interesting and I am anxious for the results.

Tomorrow, Ashley will have her upper Endoscopy and the bowel biopsy. Hopefully, nothing else will be needed and we will be home before Brad gets out school. While Joey is in North Carolina on business, and while Ashley and I are in Gainesville, My mom is taking care of Brad. My mom is such a life saver, I have no idea what I would do without her. Once we are home, I will post another update. Until then, happy thoughts and prayers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b

Answers lead to more Questions

In great Ashley fashion, she did very well with her trip to the hospital and recovered well from the procedure. Right now, Ashley is off with her Grammie getting spoiled by shopping. With no one in the house but me and the pets, I am off to my own devices which usually means I have to much time to think, to research, to worry, to vent, to hope and to pray. Today Ashley had a broncioscope to find out why she has been coughing for six months. After getting up at 4:30 am and at the hospital at 6 am, the scope began at approximately 7:30 am. The procedure itself took less than 30 minutes. The outcome of the procedure left me with more questions than answers. We do know why Ashley is coughing, Ashley has a vocal cord dysfunction, enlarged adnenoids and tonsils. Finding out why Ashley is coughing is good news, however, we also learned that Ashley may have other issues involving her lungs. There was 60mL of fluid in her lungs. Some samples of her lungs were sent for a cell count, bacterial cu

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe someday Ashley will compete on a stage again and not