Skip to main content

It Feels Good to Help Others

One of my daily New Year goals is to help someone in need. Even though I practice this every year, sometimes like most humans I become selfish and have the "what about me syndrome." It's easy to get wrapped on our own needs and not think about others. I am a very generous person by nature almost to a fault because I am easily used by others. In the past, I have been taken advantage of when I have given generously. I admit because of the past it has been hard for me to give so readily; so generously. This year's daily goals have given me an opportunity to fulfil my strong desire to give; to pay it forward even if I don't reap rewards.

A good friend of mine has been fighting the flu for what seems like two weeks (I think she has pneumonia). Laura is a workaholic, but so very generous with herself and her time. Her daughters have become close friends to Brad and Ashley and I simply adore the family; all of them even Mr. Bean and Frankie. Yesterday, I called Laura to check on her; she sounded awful. I offered to help and I did. I picked up her daughter, Kat, at 5:30 pm from cheer leading practice. I picked up some items she needed at the grocery store and I even ran to Target so that Kat could get some much needed items for a Pep Rally they are having at school today. Did I go out of my way to do these things; no not really. When I dropped off Kat at her house I spoke to Laura for a little while as she was covered from head to toe in her bedding, sweats and a Studio 5D jacket; she was sick people. Helping Laura made my day, something so simple and so giving made me feel good and was the highlight of my day.

But I didn't stop there...

After reading several of the blogs I follow and visiting my Facebook page, I learned that a friend from our pediatric liver disease support group is organizing a raffle to raise money to cover her son's medical care. Her son, Aiden, was born with biliary atresia the same disease that affects Ashley. Aiden received a liver transplant when he was just a tiny baby but his health has never been the same since his transplant. Although, his gifted liver is doing well, Aiden is now suffering from other illnesses and must travel from his home in St. Petersburg, Florida to Cincinnati, Ohio to get specialized care from the best doctors for his disorder. Not only is Aiden dealing with major health issues but his little brother, Mason, has medical issues of his own. Lisa and her husband, Joey, (I like that name, wonder why) are amazing parents and their children are an example of God's miracles.

For years I have wanted to help a family from our liver disease support group but I wasn't sure how. We are not rich so to help someone financially was out of the question although I have given $20 dollars to families here and there; it's not much but every penny adds up. But I wanted to do more. So with Lisa's raffle for her son, I came up with an idea. I would donate my services as a web designer to one lucky raffle winner. The winner will receive a free 3 to 5 page simple website, two years of hosting, a free domain and two years of website management. I am so excited about this offer, I only hope that it brings in a ton of money for Aiden and his family.

It's amazing how a simple act of kindness can make one feel. Hmm...I wonder who I can help today. Maybe it's you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley's Story

“Although Ashley’s liver is failing, she isn’t sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. We were told that Ashley would need a new liver by the time she reaches puberty." Ashley was born at the end of July in 1998, but her story doesn’t start there;her story begins when she was just a little peanut in my womb. At 24 weeks gestation we learned we were having a girl, but our little girl had something wrong with her. Imagine sitting in the examining room, and the excitement of learning you are having a girl, then at the same time you hear the silence in the room when something is just not right with the baby. We were told that Ashley possibly had an ovarian cyst. It was normal and not to worry. But something told us it was more than just an ovarian cyst. As soon as Ashley was delivered she struggled to live. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and she was blue. Thankfully the doctor cut the cord immediately and although Ashley was still blue; she was b

Answers lead to more Questions

In great Ashley fashion, she did very well with her trip to the hospital and recovered well from the procedure. Right now, Ashley is off with her Grammie getting spoiled by shopping. With no one in the house but me and the pets, I am off to my own devices which usually means I have to much time to think, to research, to worry, to vent, to hope and to pray. Today Ashley had a broncioscope to find out why she has been coughing for six months. After getting up at 4:30 am and at the hospital at 6 am, the scope began at approximately 7:30 am. The procedure itself took less than 30 minutes. The outcome of the procedure left me with more questions than answers. We do know why Ashley is coughing, Ashley has a vocal cord dysfunction, enlarged adnenoids and tonsils. Finding out why Ashley is coughing is good news, however, we also learned that Ashley may have other issues involving her lungs. There was 60mL of fluid in her lungs. Some samples of her lungs were sent for a cell count, bacterial cu

It's been a while. Did you know...

that Ashley was in the hospital  after Thanksgiving and before Christmas?  She had a bleed. She has varices.  Just a little reminder that she is not healthy and has a life threatening liver disease. that we lost our beloved beautiful puppy, Sarge, on January 2.  It was sudden, shocking, and sad.  We think he had leukemia based on his symptoms.  Not sure if we will ever get another dog.  Sarge was one of a kind and a perfect fit for our laid back, drama free family. that Ashley made the Principal's Honor Roll her 1st Semester of high school while taking all honors courses.  She is beautiful and smart. that Ashley is still dancing for her high school dance team minus a solo this year. She loves being part of the team but really misses competing in her favorite style of dance, lyrical/contemporary. that after a couple years of not having a dance studio to call home.  We think we may have finally found just the place.  Maybe someday Ashley will compete on a stage again and not